Setting up Samba on SmartOS
A frequent question on #smartos IRC is how to set up SmartOS as a file server. Due to the architecture of SmartOS and its focus on virtualisation, this isn’t as easy as on other systems, and some parts are simply not supported at this time (e.g. NFS).
This guide, therefore, is a simple way to get Samba up and running so that you can at least use a SmartOS machine as a file server, even if it’s perhaps not the protocol you would initially choose.
Create new virtual machine
Let’s start by creating a VM, here is what I use locally, you may want to tweak the settings for your environment. If you already have a suitable VM configured you can just skip this step.
Install Samba package
Next, log in to the VM and install the required packages. These are not currently available from the default repository, so we will use the generic illumos package set:
This part will differ based on your requirements, here are a couple of simple examples.
Shared guest mount with full read/write access
For if you just want somewhere to share stuff on a local network with no security.
Shared mount with per-user access
For a bit more fine-grained control.
Access will be via username and the password set with
smbpasswd. Users will
be able to create files and read other user files, but will only be able to
modify files they created.
Okay, so I’m lazy and whilst I should provide some SMF scripts and manifests
for this, it’s simpler to just write an
rc.d script! :-)
Finally, start it up!
In order for shares to automatically show up in e.g. the OSX Finder, you will need to be running some kind of mDNS service on the server.
The easiest solution is to simply enable
dns/multicast in the zone, i.e.:
This will then show up based on the hostname of the server, and clicking on it
should show the
store mount we created.
I hope this proves useful!
- 16 Jul 2015 » Reducing RAM usage in pkgin
- 03 Mar 2015 » pkgsrc-2014Q4: LTS, signed packages, and more
- 06 Oct 2014 » Building packages at scale
- 04 Dec 2013 » A node.js-powered 8-bit CPU - part four
- 03 Dec 2013 » A node.js-powered 8-bit CPU - part three
- 02 Dec 2013 » A node.js-powered 8-bit CPU - part two
- 01 Dec 2013 » A node.js-powered 8-bit CPU - part one
- 21 Nov 2013 » MDB support for Go
- 30 Jul 2013 » What's new in pkgsrc-2013Q2
- 24 Jul 2013 » Distributed chrooted pkgsrc bulk builds
- 07 Jun 2013 » pkgsrc on SmartOS - creating new packages
- 15 Apr 2013 » What's new in pkgsrc-2013Q1
- 19 Mar 2013 » Installing SVR4 packages on SmartOS
- 27 Feb 2013 » SmartOS is Not GNU/Linux
- 18 Feb 2013 » SmartOS development preview dataset
- 17 Jan 2013 » pkgsrc on SmartOS - fixing broken builds
- 15 Jan 2013 » pkgsrc on SmartOS - zone creation and basic builds
- 10 Jan 2013 » Multi-architecture package support in SmartOS
- 09 Jan 2013 » Solaris portability - cfmakeraw()
- 08 Jan 2013 » Solaris portability - flock()
- 06 Jan 2013 » pkgsrc-2012Q4 illumos packages now available
- 23 Nov 2012 » SmartOS and the global zone
- 24 Oct 2012 » Setting up Samba on SmartOS
- 10 Oct 2012 » pkgsrc-2012Q3 packages for illumos
- 23 Aug 2012 » Creating local SmartOS packages
- 10 Jul 2012 » 7,000 binary packages for OSX Lion
- 09 Jul 2012 » 9,000 packages for SmartOS and illumos
- 07 May 2012 » Goodbye Oracle, Hello Joyent!
- 13 Apr 2012 » SmartOS global zone tweaks
- 12 Apr 2012 » Automated VirtualBox SmartOS installs
- 30 Mar 2012 » iptables script for Debian / Ubuntu
- 20 Feb 2012 » New site design
- 11 Jan 2012 » Set up anonymous FTP upload on Oracle Linux
- 09 Jan 2012 » Kickstart Oracle Linux in VirtualBox
- 09 Jan 2012 » Kickstart Oracle Linux from Ubuntu
- 22 Dec 2011 » Last day at MySQL
- 15 Dec 2011 » Installing OpenBSD with softraid
- 21 Sep 2011 » Create VirtualBox VM from the command line
- 14 Sep 2011 » Creating chroots for fun and MySQL testing
- 30 Jun 2011 » Graphing memory usage during an MTR run
- 29 Jun 2011 » Fix input box keybindings in Firefox
- 24 Jun 2011 » How to lose weight
- 23 Jun 2011 » How to fix stdio buffering
- 13 Jun 2011 » Serving multiple DNS search domains in IOS DHCP
- 13 Jun 2011 » Fix Firefox URL double click behaviour
- 20 Apr 2011 » SSH via HTTP proxy in OSX
- 09 Nov 2010 » How to build MySQL releases
- 29 Apr 2010 » 'apt-get' and 5,000 packages for Solaris10/x86
- 16 Sep 2009 » ZFS and NFS vs OSX
- 12 Sep 2009 » pkgsrc on Solaris
- 09 Dec 2008 » Jumpstart from OSX
- 31 Dec 2007 » Set up local caching DNS server on OSX 10.4