Goodbye Oracle, Hello Joyent!
Back in 2001 when I started working for the BBC I was given a Sun Ultra 10 workstation running Solaris 8 and CDE to do my job. As a Linux/FreeBSD user at the time, and someone accustomed to things such as a working vi implementation, recursive grep and Window Maker, this came as something of a culture shock, and it wasn’t long before I was compiling my own software in a rapid attempt to build and configure a more usable desktop environment - or at least one I was more comfortable in.
Building all that software by hand quickly became tedious, and so I was delighted to find that Christos Zoulas had written a bunch of portability glue, known as Zoularis, which allowed pkgsrc (similar to the FreeBSD ports system I was used to) to be used on Solaris.
It was still early days, however, and so over the next few years I and others helped to improve Solaris support in pkgsrc. By 2004 we had over 1500 packages building on Solaris 9/SPARC using the Sun Studio compiler, and in 2010 there were 5000 packages for Solaris 10/x86, along with a native SFW package including pkgin (an “apt-get” clone), making it easy to get up and running.
It was always something of a disappointment to me though that pkgsrc on Solaris wasn’t more widely deployed as I felt it provided major benefits over Blastwave or IPS. So it was great to see Filip Hajný of Joyent join the pkgsrc developers in 2009 for his work on Solaris with Joyent using pkgsrc internally.
Since then they have:
ported KVM to their SmartOS descendant of Solaris, making it a clear differentiator in the cloud computing arena (DTrace+ZFS+Zones+KVM is the perfect combination for multi-tenancy environments), as well as
and thus over that time my desire to work there has only increased.
So, I am obviously delighted to say that today is my first day working for Joyent, focusing on making pkgsrc work even better on SmartOS.
It isn’t just the people and the technology which attracted me, though. A recent Twitter post by ex-Sun CEO and co-founder Scott McNealy says it well:
As a long time fan of Sun (I got over the initial shock of Solaris) who was fortunate enough to work there, and as someone who experienced the fantastic company culture of MySQL AB, it is this chance to again join an engineering-driven company that “kicks butt, has fun, doesn’t cheat, loves its customers, changes computing forever” which excites me the most.
Let’s just hope Joyent don’t turn out exactly the same as Sun Microsystems ;)
- 03 Mar 2015 » pkgsrc-2014Q4: LTS, signed packages, and more
- 06 Oct 2014 » Building packages at scale
- 04 Dec 2013 » A node.js-powered 8-bit CPU - part four
- 03 Dec 2013 » A node.js-powered 8-bit CPU - part three
- 02 Dec 2013 » A node.js-powered 8-bit CPU - part two
- 01 Dec 2013 » A node.js-powered 8-bit CPU - part one
- 21 Nov 2013 » MDB support for Go
- 30 Jul 2013 » What's new in pkgsrc-2013Q2
- 24 Jul 2013 » Distributed chrooted pkgsrc bulk builds
- 07 Jun 2013 » pkgsrc on SmartOS - creating new packages
- 15 Apr 2013 » What's new in pkgsrc-2013Q1
- 19 Mar 2013 » Installing SVR4 packages on SmartOS
- 27 Feb 2013 » SmartOS is Not GNU/Linux
- 18 Feb 2013 » SmartOS development preview dataset
- 17 Jan 2013 » pkgsrc on SmartOS - fixing broken builds
- 15 Jan 2013 » pkgsrc on SmartOS - zone creation and basic builds
- 10 Jan 2013 » Multi-architecture package support in SmartOS
- 09 Jan 2013 » Solaris portability - cfmakeraw()
- 08 Jan 2013 » Solaris portability - flock()
- 06 Jan 2013 » pkgsrc-2012Q4 illumos packages now available
- 23 Nov 2012 » SmartOS and the global zone
- 24 Oct 2012 » Setting up Samba on SmartOS
- 10 Oct 2012 » pkgsrc-2012Q3 packages for illumos
- 23 Aug 2012 » Creating local SmartOS packages
- 10 Jul 2012 » 7,000 binary packages for OSX Lion
- 09 Jul 2012 » 9,000 packages for SmartOS and illumos
- 07 May 2012 » Goodbye Oracle, Hello Joyent!
- 13 Apr 2012 » SmartOS global zone tweaks
- 12 Apr 2012 » Automated VirtualBox SmartOS installs
- 30 Mar 2012 » iptables script for Debian / Ubuntu
- 20 Feb 2012 » New site design
- 11 Jan 2012 » Set up anonymous FTP upload on Oracle Linux
- 09 Jan 2012 » Kickstart Oracle Linux in VirtualBox
- 09 Jan 2012 » Kickstart Oracle Linux from Ubuntu
- 22 Dec 2011 » Last day at MySQL
- 15 Dec 2011 » Installing OpenBSD with softraid
- 21 Sep 2011 » Create VirtualBox VM from the command line
- 14 Sep 2011 » Creating chroots for fun and MySQL testing
- 30 Jun 2011 » Graphing memory usage during an MTR run
- 29 Jun 2011 » Fix input box keybindings in Firefox
- 24 Jun 2011 » How to lose weight
- 23 Jun 2011 » How to fix stdio buffering
- 13 Jun 2011 » Serving multiple DNS search domains in IOS DHCP
- 13 Jun 2011 » Fix Firefox URL double click behaviour
- 20 Apr 2011 » SSH via HTTP proxy in OSX
- 09 Nov 2010 » How to build MySQL releases
- 29 Apr 2010 » 'apt-get' and 5,000 packages for Solaris10/x86
- 16 Sep 2009 » ZFS and NFS vs OSX
- 12 Sep 2009 » pkgsrc on Solaris
- 09 Dec 2008 » Jumpstart from OSX
- 31 Dec 2007 » Set up local caching DNS server on OSX 10.4