SmartOS development preview dataset
The datasets we produce for SmartOS are usually released on a quarterly cadence, matching the upstream pkgsrc release branches. This is often enough to ensure that people can get up-to-date software with all the usual improvements and bug fixes.
Occasionally though, users want the very latest and don’t really want to wait for 3 months to get it, and so to satisfy those users who crave the bleeding edge I have produced a new dataset which is based upon pkgsrc trunk.
The package repository for this dataset will be constantly updated with the very latest that pkgsrc has to offer, and so you will occasionally see breakage as we integrate updates for core libraries and add new features. Think of it as being similar to Debian ‘unstable’, you get the very latest stuff but you may need to do some maintenance every so often.
Here are some reasons why you may want to use this dataset:
It is based upon the multiarch code, so only one image is necessary. No more needing to decide between the 32-bit or 64-bit options.
It is a full bulk build, so there are in the region of 9,000 packages to choose from (depending on the current state of pkgsrc trunk).
It has all the Joyent specific changes integrated, so that means SMF support for many packages which we have written manifests for, static UID/GID allocation, various improvements, and uses the standard
There are some nice improvements only available in pkgsrc trunk, for example OpenSSL 1.0.1e with proper AES-NI support, and libpcap fixes from @postwait with a slew of networking utilities now available and working (these will be documented in a future post).
How to install
Here is a quick start guide to getting the preview dataset up and running:
then login and start using it as you would with any other dataset.
With this being a bleeding-edge distribution, there will undoubtedly be
problems.The main one I am currently aware of is dependencies upon the GCC
runtime from the
/opt/pbulk prefix used to build the packages, which looks
We are actively working on fixing these dependencies, but in the meantime if
you require a package which is broken in this way you can work around it by
/opt/pbulk bootstrap like this:
The other issue to note is that not all packages have been converted to multiarch. Again we are actively working on this, but it will take some time to go through all of the 12,000 or so packages in pkgsrc.
If you find any other problems, please feel free to raise them against our
GitHub project here. Or, even
better, follow my guides on
pkgsrc (you will want the
joyent/release/trunk branch) and have a go at fixing things yourself, we very
much welcome patches and pull requests!
- 16 Jul 2015 » Reducing RAM usage in pkgin
- 03 Mar 2015 » pkgsrc-2014Q4: LTS, signed packages, and more
- 06 Oct 2014 » Building packages at scale
- 04 Dec 2013 » A node.js-powered 8-bit CPU - part four
- 03 Dec 2013 » A node.js-powered 8-bit CPU - part three
- 02 Dec 2013 » A node.js-powered 8-bit CPU - part two
- 01 Dec 2013 » A node.js-powered 8-bit CPU - part one
- 21 Nov 2013 » MDB support for Go
- 30 Jul 2013 » What's new in pkgsrc-2013Q2
- 24 Jul 2013 » Distributed chrooted pkgsrc bulk builds
- 07 Jun 2013 » pkgsrc on SmartOS - creating new packages
- 15 Apr 2013 » What's new in pkgsrc-2013Q1
- 19 Mar 2013 » Installing SVR4 packages on SmartOS
- 27 Feb 2013 » SmartOS is Not GNU/Linux
- 18 Feb 2013 » SmartOS development preview dataset
- 17 Jan 2013 » pkgsrc on SmartOS - fixing broken builds
- 15 Jan 2013 » pkgsrc on SmartOS - zone creation and basic builds
- 10 Jan 2013 » Multi-architecture package support in SmartOS
- 09 Jan 2013 » Solaris portability - cfmakeraw()
- 08 Jan 2013 » Solaris portability - flock()
- 06 Jan 2013 » pkgsrc-2012Q4 illumos packages now available
- 23 Nov 2012 » SmartOS and the global zone
- 24 Oct 2012 » Setting up Samba on SmartOS
- 10 Oct 2012 » pkgsrc-2012Q3 packages for illumos
- 23 Aug 2012 » Creating local SmartOS packages
- 10 Jul 2012 » 7,000 binary packages for OSX Lion
- 09 Jul 2012 » 9,000 packages for SmartOS and illumos
- 07 May 2012 » Goodbye Oracle, Hello Joyent!
- 13 Apr 2012 » SmartOS global zone tweaks
- 12 Apr 2012 » Automated VirtualBox SmartOS installs
- 30 Mar 2012 » iptables script for Debian / Ubuntu
- 20 Feb 2012 » New site design
- 11 Jan 2012 » Set up anonymous FTP upload on Oracle Linux
- 09 Jan 2012 » Kickstart Oracle Linux in VirtualBox
- 09 Jan 2012 » Kickstart Oracle Linux from Ubuntu
- 22 Dec 2011 » Last day at MySQL
- 15 Dec 2011 » Installing OpenBSD with softraid
- 21 Sep 2011 » Create VirtualBox VM from the command line
- 14 Sep 2011 » Creating chroots for fun and MySQL testing
- 30 Jun 2011 » Graphing memory usage during an MTR run
- 29 Jun 2011 » Fix input box keybindings in Firefox
- 24 Jun 2011 » How to lose weight
- 23 Jun 2011 » How to fix stdio buffering
- 13 Jun 2011 » Serving multiple DNS search domains in IOS DHCP
- 13 Jun 2011 » Fix Firefox URL double click behaviour
- 20 Apr 2011 » SSH via HTTP proxy in OSX
- 09 Nov 2010 » How to build MySQL releases
- 29 Apr 2010 » 'apt-get' and 5,000 packages for Solaris10/x86
- 16 Sep 2009 » ZFS and NFS vs OSX
- 12 Sep 2009 » pkgsrc on Solaris
- 09 Dec 2008 » Jumpstart from OSX
- 31 Dec 2007 » Set up local caching DNS server on OSX 10.4